View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
jsceash

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
I noticed that only the outer edge of your friction material looks like it had made contact with the flywheel / pressure plate.

This raises questions:
1. Do you think you got the surfaces seated/broken in adequately?

2. Did you replace clutch disc while re-using the old, worn pressure plate or flywheel, or did you replace those components as well? (If you reused them, what condition were they in?)

3. Do the pressure plate and flywheel friction surfaces completely cover the friction material, or is there some friction material that overhangs the mating surfaces?

Comparing to a "stock 986" clutch disc (for new Sachs 5-speed unit, see attached for comparison) the 987 one you show has some differences. Maybe mismatching the 987 clutch disc with the 986 flywheel and pressure plate caused this problem.

In case it helps, the outside diameter of this pictured 986 5-speed clutch disc is 9-7/16".
The disk is the same surface size as the Spec disc. There is about 3mm of clearance to the inside on the flywheel and about 2mm inside and outside on the pressure plate so the metal surfaces are larger than the disc is. I ran a straight edge around the pressure plate with a steel scale and could not see light through the edges. The finger were all at the same height when measured with a digital vernier. The surface was clean no burns but smooth it did not have any hashing like a new disc usually shows. I lightly sanded the surface to add some texture. The fly wheel was new. the old one had too much play.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote