View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
I watched about 5 min of the video and to me it looked like the pressure was tracking RPM, with the gauge slightly lagging. Can you point me to a time in the video that demonstrates a large drop in pressure?

FWIW, I log oil pressure in my SPB and oil pressure holds up ok (IMHO) with a deep sump.

As for oil, I tried DT40 for track use and oil analysis showed the viscosity was breaking down pretty quickly. I suggest you find something else. For me, XP90 holds up much better, but I change it every 10-15 hours.
I like this thought, and re-watching the video with this in mind, it seems to correlate pretty well.

I would love to go to XP9 but I drive to and from the track so I could only get 1 track weekend per XP9 oil change since the closest one is 3 hours away. I read it has a 750 mile lifespan. I wondered if that was 750 racing miles lifespan, with longer if there was street driving in between, but Lake Speed Jr told me it was not. I guess a person could get a UOA after each weekend and see if there was more life left?

If I could find an oil that was good for around 2000-3000 miles that was XP-9 like that would be perfect - I change the oil now every 6 months and my mileage is right around that.

Redline 10W40? It looks like it could be pretty good and says:
  • Best choice for high-performance engines that see street/strip or track activity
  • Great for engines with high oil temperatures

Oil question for spec boxster folks - what are you running?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote