View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
steved0x

Oil pressure issues at Road Atlanta - real or imagined

I just got a Go Pro camera, and so I used it this past weekend at Road Atlanta. I recorded a couple of sessions with the intent of watching my oil pressure, but the camera only picked that up during this (disclaimers be here) first warmup session with many awful driving issue, hand placement, etc (I would have sworn I had them at 9 and 3 but this video showed me where they really were). I'll post up the "good" video later for some critique on what to improve for next time - in this video, look only at the oil pressure issues I am describing.

Car: 2000 Porsche Boxster S, Hankook R-S3 tires, synthetic 5W40 street oil (not a "race" oil).

VDO Vision Oil temp gauge, sender in the extra port on the driver side valve cover
VDO Vision oil pressure gauge, sender in the port on the passenger side replacing the stock oil pressure switch.

Oil temp at 200, moving up to around 210/215 (the white hash mark is 200, the smaller one to the right is 220)

Oil Pressure - the big hash mark at 12 o'clock is 40, 20 on left, 60 on right, with 80 on far right. In between hash marks are smaller hash marks: 10, 30, etc...

I have the 2 Quart LN Deep sump kit installed as well, oil level is between the top and bottom hash marks but closer to the bottom since I don't like to run too full due to AOS smoke bombs. This may be the issue? I am still within the lines and carrying extra oil due to the 2 qt deep sump with the EBS baffle and windage tray.

Watch this video and see how much the oil pressure moves especially during right hand turns, even very easy turns. I could (and well next chance I get) video some street driving and see what happens. These turns were not extreme, I was getting no tire squeal or feedback, watch how much I am moving my hands around and pointing etc.. (another bad habit to watch for in the future), this was an easy warmup session and not a hard lap at all. If the oil drops this much during this sort of easy driving, how does it do when a person is going all out? I am not near the top fastest drivers but at Roebling Road I am doing low 1:30 high 1:29 on these same street tires, that is way more force than I was generating in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpRLjEd2zPs&feature=youtu.be

Use HD and/or watch on full screen youtube to better be able to read the gauges...

Any thoughts. Are some dips in oil pressure normal? Is there any cause for dips (when the RPM is constant) that do not involve air getting sucked in? Is it because the oil pressure port is in the right side valve cover? (Don't see how but just thinking out loud...)

Edit: maybe the oil pressure is not instantaneous and the drop is just a reflection of the dropped RPMs due to the braking zone, like before 3 which seems to have an extreme drop.

Edit 2: 10B has a lot of drop, I am going pretty low speed through there and not squealing the tires. Much more drop than 10A. Seems like right turns are worse.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 03-14-2016 at 05:18 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote