View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
jb92563

I have been driving Miata's on iRacing.

Its quite challenging and its pretty close to the real thing, so you cant do any dumb tricks to sneak around the track. Outside of practice mode, if you hit other cars you get seriously dinged on points and after too many crashes with other cars you are restricted to practice sessions for a while so as not to be a nuisance to other drivers. No crash derbies allowed.

It also has adjustments for car geometry and tires so you can tweak things just like the real thing.

Its a great way to learn how different geometry changes effect handling and speed.
May actually help you with real car setups as you get a better understanding of how it all interacts.

I come in dead last most times just like I would in a real car race, but I am learning the importance of finishing, and driving your own race, picking your passing very carefully after observing the other drivers patterns and not trying to keep up, which usually results in going off road or crashing for me.

Its exciting and on those laps where I was actually starting to do better I realized that I was actually learning useful skills for the real thing as well.

There is driving line and auto shifting assistance for when your just starting out since you can overheat your motor and blow it, the tires and wear are also modeled so you notice when the tires are hot and get more sticky and after too many laps you notice the tires starting to loose some grip, but you can pit and get new tires, adjust inflation pressures etc.

I think they had a RUF Porsche to drive as well.

I like the road courses and leave the ovals to the Nascar folks. I tried it and it seemed to not require nearly as much driving skill, and is rather boring.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-18-2016 at 09:10 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote