Thread: swirl pots
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I have seen in the past that LN Engineering Site recommends the newer straight discharge style with their latest sump extension arrangements. There was no explaination as to why.
My understanding (from the LN information on that same page) is that the newer straight discharge style return the oil faster? It says "Lastly, we include 997 oil return tubes to ensure that oil being pumped back to the sump returns as quickly as possible to the lowered engine oil pickup." Maybe the new style is faster than the old style? (Oh I see that is what you speculated as well in the following sentences)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
When i was tracking and deep sumped way back I wanted the old style separators returning oil under the windage tray where the pick sits. It seems there are now on top return arrangements; I will be honest and say they make no sense to me. Perhaps they return oil quicker and or reduce foaming.
I thought the outlet on the old style was above the plane of the windage tray, with only the bottom part hanging down below that plane? Did you add an extender to the outlet or am I remembering it wrong? (I did not measure, eyeball remembrances only... ) I have heard that some folks using the mantis sport with the old style swirl pots pound it with a hammer to clear the bottoms instead of cutting 2 holes. Sounds crazy to me
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote