View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
KevinH1990

Memory Seat Retrofit

I just finished swapping 8-way power seat bases into my 2000 Boxster. This added power adjustment of the fore and aft position and seat height. You can read about it here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/58080-full-power-seat-installation.html

The driver's seat has the memory seat control box and I'm curious about installing the memory function to the seat. I've managed to source the used parts I need for a reasonable price, but before I start I'd like to be more certain of the procedure and avoid tearing the car apart. In the following paragraphs, I'll share what I've learned so far.

Here's a picture of the control box:

The large vertical socket (fourth from the left) is for the connector that controls the seat and mirror memory. The white connector in this picture fits in the socket:

The two smaller black connectors to the left of the white connector fit in the bottom of the trunk release panel in the driver's door sill. One of the connectors has three pins and the other has four pins. You can see where they fit in this picture:

Here's a top view of the control buttons:

I think that installing the mirror control may require too much disassembly of the interior, so I think I will leave that for another time. However, based on this diagram, the seat memory looks to be almost plug and play. In this drawing, the schematic for the large white connector is on the left and the 3 and 4 pin black connectors are on the top right. I didn't show all of the connections in the white connector in order to keep the diagram simple. You can find the entire diagram on page EWD 79 of the Bentley Manual.

It appears that 5 of the 7 wires on the two plugs in the control module go directly to the large white connector. Of the two remaining wires, one (brown) appears to be a ground and the other (red/black) appears to be power. The red/black wire appears to go to a bridge plug (BS 7 8/E12) in relay carrier below the dash board. The ground is supposed to to to MP 7 17/E9, but I'm not sure of that nomenclature.

In addition, it appears that I may need to connect two of the wires in the white connector to power and ground. The white wire in position A4 is labeled system ground in the Bentley manual and the white/yellow wire in position A5 is labeled +5 Volts.

What I would like to do is:

1. See if anyone has done this or has an electrical background and can review my research to confirm my thinking and approach.

2. Find close sources of power and ground that will work correctly and avoid having to remove interior trim and fish wires.

If you can suggest an efficient approach to this project I will appreciate the help.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote