View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
Spinnaker

Up dating to the new style unit will not eliminate the switch breakage issues. There have been many posts about the new style ones breaking also. That $147 will buy a lot of spares. Buy a couple of the old style ones, if that is what you have in the car now. I carry a spare in the tool kit with the correct screw drivers so it will be handy for the "next" time. Once you have changed it once, it gets easier to do. Porsche doesn't carry the old style switch anymore because they want you to buy the more expensive "updated" unit. I don't see the point in updating if it still has breakage issues. The old style switch is available everywhere since VW and Audi use the exact same unit and they have the same issues with breakage. Just go look at their forums.
Before throwing money at the switch, I would check the starter/solenoid first.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap-2.html#post346988
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 12-22-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote