View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #36
10/10ths
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

The law is the law...

....yes, there are EPA credits based upon vehicle footprint and other waivers to make reaching 54.5 mpg easier without actually achieving that number for their vehicles.

The flip side, however, is that a smaller displacement engine also pollutes less NoX and Co2 and that is also the LAW globally now.

Porsche MUST downsize displacement and add forced induction.

Again, look at what EVERY manufacturer is building now, they are ALL doing this because they ALL have to do this.

Again, the GOOD part is, forced induction engines make great torque, get better mileage, and are pretty easy to hot rod to higher power levels.

We can all debate the merits of "Global Warming", but the politicians have passed the laws and the car companies must build to the regulations.

This is why you have Auto Start-Stop, Active Grill Shutters, Hybrids, etc., they all get the companies to 54.5 MPG by 2025.

The BIG issue is the EV mandate in California, New York, and fourteen other states. Those STATE laws require that 16% of all the vehicles a car company sells in those states MUST be a plug-in of some kind or they get cut off from selling vehicles in those states, whether people want to buy them or not.

That's the tough one.

That's why Porsche announced the big "Tesla fighter" EV car. That's why BMW sells the i3 and i8, that's why Ford, Chevy, Nissan, et. al. sell plug-in hybrid and full EV cars now.

Here's a great round table discussion about the industry and where EVs are heading:

Engineering the Future (Show #1930) on Autoline This Week

Cheers.

P.S.

They will have to pry my naturally aspirated, 3.2 liter, Flat 6 and 2004 Boxster S 50 Years off 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition from my cold, dead, fingers.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote