Thread: IMS Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Bruce Wayne

Garage
Thanks guys. I've communicated with Jake

Apologies for the lack of clarity on the earlier post - as other posters have mentioned. debris in the makes this a different picture !

I would rather keep the orginal engine if possible. Going the 'motor from a wreck' route is pretty much a waste of time IMO as it's an unknown entity and just as likely to fail,... there or anywhere else. without having traceablity on the engine its pointless. for me.. for others maybe fine, just not for me.

putting a replacement bearing, of any type, with metal moving about is again pointless. it's work, effeort and energy as well as money wasted just to kill it again.

what i am thinking about now is having the engine dropped out and a partial tear down and flushed out. when i say partial tear down, i mean not going to split the block and do a full tear down back to every nut and bolt ...I'm doing that right now on a Rover V8 engine from a 1971 Range Rover i'm in the process of doing a full body restoration on.. along with a Range Rover CSK i am restoring too. I'm also going overseas on a new job next month so the cars will get a little bit at a time, having broken the back of the big jobs.

I wont be doing the boxster engine, i dont have the space or the tooling to fully tear down an M96 engine. The car is with a garage that knows Porsches. I'm in no rush. But i dont want to go the route of dropping the engine pushing it in with the other cars on my list of 'to do's' and deal with it another time. But the car is too good to break. 60k 3 owners from new not trashed and thrashed..

The good news though.. the 2001 986 S 6speed is going fine !!
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-02-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote