View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Not sure how the racers get around the O2 monitor issue but you need at least an upstream O2 sensor for the engine to run right.
The early 97-99 Boxsters only have one set of cats which are located separately downstream of the headers (non-integrated) and the cat delete pipes from Fabspeed have an O2 mount so the ECU will continue to monitor the exhaust and avoid any CEL issues from cat removal.

Porsche 986 Boxster Primary Catbypass Pipes (1997-1999) - Fabspeed Motorsport

I bought my TopSpeed cat back muffler after hearing how well they sound. It really sounds bad ass.

Please note that the TopSpeed + cat delete will be pretty loud. Its fine for my race car but it would be too loud for me (and my very quiet neighborhood) on a daily basis.

For daily driving, I would first try either the cat delete or the TopSpeed muffler and see how well you like the sound. You can always add the other component if you want it louder. I installed the muffler first and kept the stock cat's and had some drone. Removing the cat's eliminated the drone but the combination increased the loudness quite a bit over pure stock.

Here is a pic of my 97 Boxster with the TopSpeed muffler; stock cat on the left and the cat delete pipe on the right:

And here is the full cat delete and TopSpeed muffler installation:

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-16-2015 at 03:46 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote