View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #374
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Let me start this post by saying that taking your car to the track can be a humbling experience. It is still one area where personal performance is easily measured and easily compared with others. And sometimes, whether you like it or not, the truth just stares back and gives you the middle finger.

Yesterday was one of those days for me.

Well, let's talk about the positive things first; the San Diego region PCA hosted an excellent event at Buttonwillow raceway with both racing and time trials on a beautiful 70F sunny day in middle of Central California farmland.

I also had to opportunity to meet fellow Forum member JayG and his son who were there for the time trial and I got a personal and upclose look at Topless' shiny white Cayman. That Cayman is a beautiful car!

Now, the reality check: I was S-L-O-W. As in 12 seconds off the pace in the first practice session. 12 seconds!!

I got better during the second practice session and took off 5 seconds. Then took another 5 seconds off in the third/qualifying session.

So I was only a few seconds behind the leaders pace right? Unfortunately, no. By the time that I caught up those 10 seconds, the leaders had taken 3 more seconds off of their times. And it wasn't just one or two drivers, 9 of the 13 cars in the Spec Boxster field were 3-5 seconds per lap faster than me!

During the race, I started well and kept up with the race pace (which is almost always slower than qualifying) until the halfway point when I started to fade rearwards. I think that I finished 12th or 13th. I say 12th or 13th because if I actually look it up, then I would know for sure and would have to say that I finished last. Ouch. That hurt.

To sum it up; I sucked and got my assed kicked.

The video should be pretty good since there was a lot of close racing in the first half of the race. I'll edit it quickly and get it posted.

P.S. I did not race today due to the rain that rolled in this morning.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-15-2015 at 02:56 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote