View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
Gelbster

Not original ideas of mine - just re-hashed for a speed read.
When the oil 'sloshes' around in turns it climbs vertical surfaces.The oil gets foamy because of the whirring mechanicals it collides with.Think whisk? The oil climbs high enough to leave the oil pickup sucking oil foam. So the pressure drops. The liquid-oil level also drops even after the engine sits for a while. All those bubbles need to coalesce and burst before the level is restored.
Having a deep sump+extended pickup + a well designed horizontal and vertical baffle keeps the pickup submerged.It should also reduce the 'climbing' problem.
Why does the oil foam so much? because it has way too much detergent in it for the M96. There are low foam oils which may be better suited to this driving situation than the usually recommended oil. This has been discussed at length before.
If you run a +2qt. deep sump and the oil 1/2 way between max/min that should also prevent the AOS becoming 'swamped'.
disclaimer- I am not an expert in this subject but have already made all the mods I mentioned to my M96.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote