View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
steved0x

Increasing oil capacity of AOS to help with avoiding smoke screens

There are 3 basic versions of the AOS that I know of. The basic version that comes with our cars, and then 2 larger versions that some folks call the "Motorsports" versions - one is for 911 cars and one is for 987 Boxsters and Caymans, that I think can be retrofitted onto 03-04 986 Boxsters.

Post #7 here has some pictures:

Oil Separator Modification - Pics - AOS Motorsport VOS

The reason I understand these bigger AOS won't fit on earlier 986 Boxsters is because the outlet of the AOS and the inlet on the engine is larger starting in 2003.

But what if you were to open up a hole in the side of the oil chamber in the smaller AOS, and either epoxy/bond/plastic weld on a bump-out or an extension or a tube leading leasing to a reservoir with extra capacity, so that the oil chamber would have more time before it got full and then oil gets sucked into the intake?

Maybe a 3d printed bump-out could be made that would make the original AOS oil chamber a little bigger?

I could be way off, I have never seen the inside of an AOS, but it seems if the oil chamber could be made bigger it might help avoid some smoke bombs.

I guess the other solution I have seen is to put a catch can in between the AOS and the intake, but what I have heard from folks that have done this is the following:
1. Add catch can between AOS and intake
2. Fill oil up to top line on gauge
3. Drive on track
4. Catch can immediately fills up with around 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil and oil gauge reads down to about halfway between the marks, at which point no more oil goes to the catch can.

I guess at least it didn't get sucked through the intake.

I run my oil about halfway between the top and bottom line on the gauge and have no smoke bombs since doing so. I may start a new thread on this, but:

* Has anybody ever done any mod to the AOS to increase the oil capacity so it has more time to drain back into the engine?

* Does this sound like a terrible idea?

* An unnecessary idea?

Thanks

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote