View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
You guys are lucky out there. There's talk out here about somehow incorporating the 2.7's into spec because of the limited supply of 2.5's and future supply. That's part of the reason they're allowing Nikasil motors now is what I've heard.
IMHO, this is being driven by shops who want to get paid $10,000 - $15,000 for a 2.5L rebuild.

In order to justify that price, they HAVE to offer something more than a pure stock rebuild, otherwise drivers will continue to simply use salvage engines. Over 30,000 2.5L cars were built - I can't believe that there aren't enough still around to supply the 200-300 Spec Boxster's in the entire US. The bottom line is that the indy shops are sick and tired of doing $3,000 engine swaps that don't make them any profit.

Thus, there is a major push by the indy repair shops to claim that 2.5's are impossible to find and thus the engines need to be rebuilt AND as long as they are being rebuilt why not modify the engines for "improved reliability".

This will not be good for Spec Boxster racing.

I say that because as soon as the rules allow engine modifications, you can be sure that shops will go just a little further and then everyone will have to run a 210rwhp "stock" engine in order to complete.

This is exactly what happened in Spec Miata.

Check out this story on how the first six finishers at the 2014 Spec Miata Championship were all found to be cheating (because they are allowed to make engine mod's and guess what - the shops "did just a little more than allowed") and the 7th place guy won the Championship. The six guys disqualified all claimed that "everyone else was doing it" and that the rule wasn't precisely clear down to the 0.001".

So Many Spec Miatas Allegedly Cheated That Seventh Place Won

P.S. Is it safe to take my tinfoil hat off now?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote