View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #14
jb92563

Ugh...really?!!! going to neutral in a Porsche at speed!!!
I can hear Ferdinand crying in his grave.

Its simple. If you want to remain in control of your car and be ready to respond to sudden events like road debris, animals, distracted drivers, Ferraris etc, then you leave the car in gear so you can use the power and brakes to control the balance and traction while doing what ever fancy maneuvering is necessary.

If you are in neutral you do not have this same level of control.

Take a Porsche performance driving school and learn how to take advantage of all the wonderful capabilities of you car and stop driving it like a Wheelbarrow.

More safety and skill is better for you, your car, and the folks around you...you owe it to yourself and your family.

I know folks will have other strong opinions, but take the driving school and then we'll see if you change your mind.

As for wear and tear on the clutch, nope, not if you are doing it well.

As a matter of fact the plate friction material mostly gets abraded in one direction, but when using engine braking the material gets abraded in the other direction as well which prevents the surface from glassing over. In effect you are reconditioning the surface and making it better gripping so engine braking is actually good for it.

I have NEVER worn out a clutch in any of the 5 stick shifts I have driven daily in the last 40 years, and I always use engine braking. I also touch the break to light up the tail lights when cars are close behind when engine braking.

Ray
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-23-2015 at 06:50 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote