View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
clickman

What's that smell?

When is this forum going to add a smellerator? We have audio and video; I need the ability to post a smell...

Last summer I noticed the smell coming from under the car in the area of the rear wheels. When the car is put in the garage after a run, the smell fills the garage for awhile then goes away. Sometimes it's noticeable in the cabin while stopped in traffic with the top down. It's kind of an acrid smell, but I can't place it. Sorta metallic.

No codes.

My indy has no idea. He says the exhaust smells ok. The cats show up as a Pass in readiness status on my Durametric.

Here are the facts:

1. New tires installed last spring (2014). The previous winter replaced:
a. oil and filter
b. brake fluid
c. water pump
d. AOS, with the j-tube connecting the AOS to the throttle body
e. coolant tank, with middle section of the oil filler tube
2. Metallic? brake? smell from rear of car started last summer while away on trip.
3. On the way home from the trip, after running all day, two instances of misfire and flashing CEL (<10 s each) within 10 minutes
4. Ran ok for 1/2 h after that, then shut down for 2 h, then run for another hour.
5. No codes from generic reader. Then accidentally hit erase button after checking for codes.
6. Pulled coils - small cracks - did not replace.
7. Pulled plugs - all looked good (not old). Replaced.
8. Replaced plug tubes and o-rings.
9. Cleaned MAF.
10. Sat for winter.
11. Started well and has run well this spring. No misfires or flashing CEL.
12. This spring when I got a Durametric it showed "Fail" for catalytic converter efficiency Ready Status. Now that the car has been driven a few times and gone through some drive cycles, it shows "Pass".
13. Smell still shows up after getting up to temp.

I don't think it's brakes, as the rear brakes are cooler to the touch that the fronts. I don't see any tears in or grease from CV boots. It's not the sweet smell of coolant and the tank level is constant.

Durametric is a cool tool, but I don't know if I should be looking at some actual values, and what the normal readings for those actual values should be.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Please.