View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Porsche9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
I understand that as various refiners push their product down the actual pipeline, it flows like cars on a freight train, with no air gap. So the beginning and end of a large slug, where they might be a cross between two companies products, is sold on the open market at the gas terminal via the spot market. The independent stations are the primary customers of the spot market. So they may end up with buying a cross mix of two major refiners version of regular. That unknown is one reason why I stay away from the independent stations.
I would think this situation happening depends on where you live. In Arizona we use to get all of our gasoline from one refinery in California but a few year back they built a pipeline from Texas. Not sure if it gets mixed but it certainly helped lower prices.

Ethanol gets mixed into gas so there could be some variation on the percentage mix in the final product that could impact mileage as ethanol negatively affects mileage as it's less energy dense then gasoline.

Again, stick to Top Tier gasoline and you should be fine.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote