Thread: Ethanol?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 04:05 AM   #4
986Jim

We have had ethanol blended fuels for years now. I run Ethanol blended 94 octane gas with great fuel mileage and can make a ton of power on it as it's true 94 octane gasoline.

On a side note, Top fuel is not Ethanol (corn) it's Methanol (Alcohol). You could never run a standard car on Methanol. You have to switch all the fuel lines to braided, fuel filter to stainless not paper, fuel pump to a methanol compatiable, and injectors to methanol rated injectors and FPR to a methanol regulator.

Methanol is extremely corosive so it eats up lines and rubber seals and regulators etc so you need special stuff to run it. Its also half as dense as Gasoline is so you must burn twice as much of it for the same effect even tho it's like 140 octane. It has half the BTU's of Gasoline. You need to double up your injectors for a Methanol car. Typically to make say 1000hp on Methanol like the Titan Supra's etc.. you need 12 (two sets) of 1600cc injectors for a 6 cyl (2 per cylinder) where our cars probablly run on one set (6) of 230cc injectors. Basically you could never run Methanol on our cars. Ethanol is sort of the same scenario however I'm not that familiar with it's properties as I have never ran an Ethanol only car there's no point. It's full Alcohol for racing or nothing.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote