View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Still, 1-2% chance is pretty slight - I would argue that all engines have a chance they will blow up due to something. Lots of ford, toyota, honda engines have gone kaput for one reason or another. With so many moving parts and variables, it happens.
I would state this differently;

Yes, all engines ultimately fail.

Yes, high mileage engines will see groupings of typical failure modes.

Yes, all engines (even low mileage) can fail for one reason or another on occasion.

But no, is NOT normal or typical for a well maintained, low mileage engine (<75K miles) from any well known modern car manufacturer to have a critical engine component fail at a rate of 1%-2% which results in the destruction of the entire engine. This definitely does NOT happen to Honda's or Toyota's (won't go out on a limb for Ford's )

If the IMSB failure rate was in any way related to safety, there would have been a mandatory recall. But since the issue is reliability related, owners had to sue Porsche. And won. That alone is a pretty special circumstance and not at all normal or typical for most car manufacturer's.

Now, with that being said, like Giller, I am quite comfortable with a 98% change of success.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-24-2015 at 08:30 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote