View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Gelbster

Back to the issue?
Smallblock is very modestly concealing his expertise .he has some impressive connections(pun intended) in the automotive engineering business in Germany. He said:
"Sounds like the voltage regulator. Voltage should be constant at 13.8 V."
So let's try to understand first and debate only when the facts are understood ?
13,8v -gotta love that precision :-). Is that 13.8v +/- 0.5v for example or exactly 13.8v ? I ask because that would be an extremely useful Volts value to use in diagnostics.It is also very easy to test accurately.
If we get JFP's reading range(per the Factory Manual) of 13.5 to 14.5v what does this indicate -if anything?
For example is 13.5v a problem that the Becker radio coincidentally indicates ? or is it just a 'normal' variation? High resistance/corroded cables seem to be a theoretical possibility. I have seen reports of this issue at the battery end of the +ve main battery cable. Just strip off some insulation to observe/check.
Similarly , what does 14.5 (instead of 13.8v) tell us ? Just a Voltage Regulator that is beginning to fail?
I guess you would also need to know the un-regulated Alternator output voltage also -if it was reading low ?
Just trying to understand/clarify the issue.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote