View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
b55er

I would tend to agree with getting an independent PPI.

Except.. I didn't.

In 2011, I purachased my 986 base with 21,800 miles on it.

The car was in like-new condition and had looked like it had never been used. The hardtop roof was never taken off and the old plastic protector film was still on the rear window from new. The roof fabric was extremely stiff. The leather was perfect. Flawless paintwork, etc.

I would have been very weary but..this is why I didn't get a PPI.

As a selling point, dealer stated they replaced the engine at 20k miles. The dealer would not print out the repair records for me (privacy), but sat me in front of the service computer and let me browse all service records of the vehicle. The car was purchased and serviced there by one owner. The engine replacement was $18,000 and paid for under goodwill in 2007. Full stamped service history book was included with engine replaced stamped. Carfax pretty much matched the dealer records I viewed.

Several days after taking delivery, I needed a quick adjustment on the convertible. One of their master tech's came up to me to tell me he did the engine swap. He said the engine failure was due to a slipped cylinder sleeve and full crate motor was installed with all new drive accessories (ac, ps, etc).

I felt really good about going into the deal and had a great like-new 986 buying experience from the dealer. As it should be, but often isn't.

Today, I have a good relationship with the dealer and my independent says it's the cleanest 986 he's seen.

I did pay top dollar for the car and bought it as-is. It was worth it. No surprises since owing it in the last 4 years. I didn't feel any need for a PPI with an engine with 2,000 miles on it. I rolled the dice and did really well. Next time, I'll get a PPI. Now let me tell you about that 1992 Audi 100s I bought without a PPI .... :-(

Last edited by b55er; 03-03-2015 at 10:13 PM.
b55er is offline   Reply With Quote