View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Gelbster

You do not mention how many miles on the 'box.
Interesting that you did not mention the 2nd gear detent fix.
Did you check for deteriorated seals on the vital bearings? You know the yucky finger test through the drain plug hole. It is a bit late if you have changed the oil.
These 6 speeds are a mystery time bomb in some cases. They have the IMSB issue ('sealed' bearing un-seals and dies) and the 2nd gear pop out problem, and CV joint boots go faster than the 5 speed. My issue is that there are no really detailed diy instructions. There is one good write up from itguys but their pdf has been pulled down.
In the near future I intend to do a very detailed and probably humiliating attempt at a diy fix of the 6 speed - 2nd gear +bearings. There is very little 'prior art' to help.
The reason this is difficult/important is:
1.the parts are $2000 -if you can find them/identify them or even know what you are looking at!
2.the tools - a big puller is $300+
3.the shaft is hollow so if you use too much force you buckle it = junk box.
I have a morbid fear that my well publicized humiliation here will simply drive a lot of business to Erik and the other few gearbox gurus.But someone has to do it. So many of these gearboxes are aging out and will be junked if not repaired correctly. I'll start in about 1 month - after I get the rebuilt M96 installed and running!
Watch this space?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote