View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Gelbster

Whitecliffs ,
Interesting project you are doing. 2.5 to 3.4 will be a significant performance upgrade!
The clutch+flywheel - the conventional wisdom is that substituting a conventional flywheel(SMF) for the DMF will lead to dire consequences because of the lack of dynamic balance. I am confused by such warnings because the LWFW mod is often mentioned without any comparable admission that it eventually caused mechanical problems . I do not mean just an uneven idle. These dark and mysterious unbalanced forces are allegedly an assurance of doom for the crankshaft/bearings. If the M96 engine was an inherently unbalanced 90 degree V6 ,I understand.But a flat 6? O.k. it isn't quite perfect but short of a rotary/Wankel or 12cyl. ,it is about as good as we'll get Yet no posts about the actual damage caused by LWFW/SMF substitutions?
By contrast, a worn DMF seems more likely to cause exactly the damage the LWFW or SMF is rumored to cause.
So how did you reconcile the two conflicting points of view ?
This may help?
"The final issue is that if the clutch/DMF assembly wears and runs out of balance it can cause severe engine damage by overloading the crankshaft main bearings. This problem is especially prevalent on the 986, 987, 996 & 997 2.5, 2.7, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 & 3.8 models, For these reasons Ninemeister highly recommend replacing the Porsche DMF at the same time as a clutch replacement and will only warranty a clutch package when fitted with a new DMF. "
I mention this because I am sure you don't want to inadvertently damage your new and expensive 3.4.

Last edited by Gelbster; 02-23-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote