View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
Gelbster

Yes Steven,that was me- 'cooking' lifters.Not effective.I also posted a crankshaft being dry-roasted in my wife's oven.
The lifters have an updated INA part number. Most of the old ones get the tappet 'hammered' or jammed into the bucket. No repair possible. This causes the "they all make that ticking noise" comments about the older M96 engines?
Replacing all 24 @ $40+ each is a bit steep. $8 was much better!
Lots of geekish details scattered around the Forums.I got very little participation at the time.Many months ago I discussed the BMW-lifter interchange issue with Rock Auto & their vendor in England(BGA).They now list it for the M96 under the interchange number.In the past it was only listed under BMW.Be sure you order/get the correct part number!
I have not heard on the Forums of anyone other than me trying the substitution. Hmmm ,there may be a reason?
No info on exactly what the INA upgrade/mods were.I suspect just clearance/tolerance. Until we get field results it is a very risky substitution.Obviously they fit physically and measure up exactly but the proof will be running them for a few thousand miles.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote