View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Gelbster

"told me new lifters would add about $3000 parts and labor to the bill."
There has been some previous discussion of using lifters made by the same supplier to Porsche(INA) that are much cheaper. They are a direct interchange number for BMW and several other vehicles.
Search for " HL6330" They are $8.34 ea from Rock Auto minus discount. They are shipped from England.
I am not yet able to confirm they work perfectly but they certainly fit perfectly. I bought and fitted 24 as a very risky experiment.
FCP Euro sells the correct(?) item for $25 ,the Dealer charges over $40 .
Be careful diagnosing lifter 'ticking' on the M96 .It is easy to confuse the tick with the beginning of rod bearing wear.
If you talk to M96 rebuilders they will tell you that they often find many of the lifters on 100k engines are jammed(the tappet is hammered into the bucket).You can free up the tappet with force but it would only get hammered again - so why?
INA had several part number revisions and seem to have finally produced a reliable part but old lifters are suspect in my very limited experience.
I spent many ,many hours sleuthing to find the interchange and even discussed it with INA/Schaeffler. Not one person would offer the slightest bit of help. Nobody on any forum could confirm the HL6330 would or would not work. Seems very odd in view of the need and the savings. So perhaps it will be a very expensive mistake.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote