View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #32
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post

Another bit, while we are under the nose, is that I've closed off the factory air exits for the center radiator. Air is now forced to exit through the vents cut in front of the hood. Theoretically, this should produce some downforce. The less air there is moving under the car, the better off it is, right?
are you an Aeronautical Engineer?

I guess theoretically, you could produce some down-force, but without putting it in a wind tunnel there is no way to actually know what is happening. you are likely to cause other things like drag.

Yes, the GT3 has them. Porsche did aerodynamic design and testing to calculate and design exactly what was needed.

Without that design and testing, who knows what is happening. You could actually cause more lift on the from end by disrupting the aerodynamics.

its kind of like using a butt dyno to calculate HP increase

I'm not trying to pick on you. IIRC, you were asking about making modifications to the spoiler as well to increase MPG. Its just without advanced computer modeling and actual wind tunnel testing ANY modification to the aerodynamics of the car as designed could cause unwanted properties and have a negative effect on handling and efficiency
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-12-2015 at 09:08 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote