View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoy View Post
This is for your information. I have 2002 Boxster base 2.7 L having a problem for 3 years on engine temperature passing 180 degrees. Last 3 years ago, I replaced my water pump, thermostat (160) and coolant. But after doing that, my engine temperature keep passing over the number zero "0". How can it be that after replacing the thermostat with low temp 160 thermostat, the temperature keeps doing it. Thinking that the new water pump may be broken, I replaced the new water pump with a new one for the second time. After driving the car, the temperature keeps passing the number zero (of 180). I followed Pedro's Garage instructions and even bought and used the pressurized method of charging coolant. I even have to pull up the coolant reservoir's pin to remove any air entrapment, no change at all and still the same. 3 years of thinking why after changing parts and spending a lot of money on cooling system, the engine temperature keeps passing the zero in 180 mark.

Last week, I decided to replace the "AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR" that is located between the air intake in engine compartment. The sensor is very cheap why not change it. Behold..........after driving it for one week, the engine temperature never passed the the number "8" of 180 mark. I really don't know why, but I am very happy that I don't need to replace my water pump for the third times. I can drive all day long with the temperature dial never pass the vertical position.:dance:
Several sensors are connected to the cooling system diagnostics system. If you look up the various functions of a blinking coolant light, one is a defective engine compartment temp sensor.

Four functions of the coolant warning light:

1. Engine coolant level too low
— light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)
2. Engine compartment temperature too high
— light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)
3. Engine coolant temperature too high
— light is lit; pointer on the right
4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty
— light flashes rapidly (1 Hz); pointer on the right

Note
The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously
(1Hz = 1 flash per second. 0.5Hz = 2 seconds per flash)