View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Porsche9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
First, thank you for your service in the Marines.

Your career counselor has a point. While a "class A" Porsche mechanic can easily pull $75-95K down a year, they don't do that right out of a training school. I employ several highly experienced Class A techs in my shop, but they all spent years at Porsche dealerships and in other Porsche specialty shops before we hired them. They each also own probably $20-30K+ (or more) in tools and tool storage equipment, which is another prerequisite to getting hired in any shop environment. While my people can do very well financially, the earn it by getting a working base salary plus a percentage of the labor rate charged to the customer. And if they have a "come back", that is repaired the second time on their own time.

If you are going to make it in the Porsche service industry, you are going to have to "pay your dues", both acquiring knowledge and a substantial set of tools before anyone will hire you, and then your will start as a "D" or entry level tech, probably doing normal oil services and new car prep at a dealership. Once you have gotten ASE and some OEM tech certifications, you would have a chance to move up to a "C" level, assisting a more experienced tech on more complicated repairs. Eventually, once you have demonstrated both to the management and your more senior peers that you have what it takes, you would move up to a "B" or even "A" rating, where you would be working on your own and earning top level income. But that process takes both financial investment and years to accomplish, so you need to be committed to the career path.
Great advise. Building on this and your business degree and accounting experience you can eventually open your own shop. Good Porsche shops are not always easy to find in parts of the country. The shop I go to started this way a few years ago and he did much of what JFF mentioned. When he opened his shop he started small by renting a small space in a central localation with just himself and his wife doing the work On bigger jobs he partners with other out of area Porsche mechanics. He started by competing on price ($80 an hour), good service and most importantly honesty. He also advertises heavily with the local PCA chapter and partipates in many events including track days.he he done well and is growing into new areas including prepping cars for the track and HPDE training. A Mecedes shop I know the owner did much of the same and after 15 years he has 5 guys working for him and he basically manages the shop. At and hourly rate of $100 he pulls in about $20k a week. Plenty to cover expenses and leave a very nice income for himself. He loves it and is glad that as he is getting on in age he no longer needs to do the physical work.

Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote