View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #56
flaps10

Quote:
Might be a stupid question but about how much does the engine weigh?
Way too heavy to be mounted in the back of a sports car, I'll tell you that. It's a beast. Back in my young and stupid days I used to drop a type 1 VW engine, strip the heater boxes off and carry it in the house. I recall reading that the VW engine would be in the neighborhood of 185 pounds in that trim but I never had one on a scale.

The M96? No idea, but I'm much older, a little bit smarter now and sporting a ruptured disc from about four years ago. I could tell just sliding it out on my makeshift pizza board that there would be a lot of stuff removed, and an assistant before it was going to move to my bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
How many miles are on your car? I checked your first post but didn't see. Everything is so clean on the engine so it can't have that many miles. It doesn't even look like it has the typical browning from heat cycles and age
My car just turned 120K miles. I agree the engine is way too clean. It would appear that it had a cylinder head recently. The valve covers are both marked and the oil scavenge pumps in the heads are also marked so it may have been torn down even more.

This car was what guys older and more southern than me might refer to as a "pig in a poke". I don't know the history of the car and I didn't get a PPI. That of course goes in the face of everything you read about buying a Porsche. You're supposed to walk away from cars like mine. And if you pay someone to work on your 'exotic' car then that's no doubt a smart recommendation.

However I also got my car for about 2/3 of the going rate for an S model, and I also bought the car as a hobby. Maybe I'm an odd one, but I bought a Porsche so I could enjoy ownership, including working on it. I don't enjoy writing big checks as much as some people I guess. In the end if I have to put $5k in parts and machine shop work then I'm still at a break even, and I'll have a car I know I can trust.

Enough blathering.

This morning it was time to clear the decks. I started by clearing my work bench because I hope to have the crank case sitting on it prior to tearing it apart.

Yet another lousy phone pic. You'd think Katherine Hepburn took these. Anyway this is part way through "making a hole".

And then it was time to clear the top and bottom of the engine of anything that moves.

Top side clear. The starter, oil cooler, alternator and crankcase breather apparatus all come off easily. The power steering pump though - what a scream. It's mounted to a pedestal which you would really like to remove in one piece and take the power steering pump still attached to it. But there is one base bolt that is pinned down by a lug on the power steering pump. You can't just remove the power steering pump because first you have to remove the pump pulley and then you'll discover that one of the hard lines is in the way. It's like one of those puzzles with one missing square. I found I could leave the hard line attached and remove the pulley and the four bolts (three from the front and one from behind) that hold the PS pump to the pedestal. By doing that you could get just enough room to sneak a box wrench in and inch the remaining base bolt out. Tedious but it gets you there.

Then you're looking at a pile like this:

Next I carefully tipped the engine up on end and removed the exhaust manifolds. Pretty easy with the help of an air impact wrench. It managed to come up with quite a puddle of oil and coolant it was hiding while I did the work. Then back down to a stable position.

Before anyone asks, the hideous black area on the board is from being used to host some things I spray painted for my woman recently. So far (other than the oil filter and the IMS bearing/shaft) I have only seen clean oil and clean coolant.

Last edited by flaps10; 10-31-2014 at 11:45 AM.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote