View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #170
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Its "brakes" time again before the PCA race at Willow Springs on the 27th/28th! I replace the brakes about twice a year with the schedule that I'm running.

I knew that the pads were about ready for replacement so I ordered all of the parts beforehand. It was also time for the yearly brake fluid flush and bleed.

This is one of the front pads - definitely ready for replacement! You can see where its worn through the hole for the brake wear sensor (which I do not use because they melt).

This picture shows the difference in thickness between the worn pad and the new one! This is the result of 12 track days. Another thing to note is that the old pad (greyish yellow green) started out the same bright yellow as the new pad! These pads literally get baked enough to change the pad paint color after being out on the racetrack!

Here is my set up for flushing the fluid and bleeding the brakes - the long lug posts make a handy holder for the catch can. The long lug posts are used on most race cars to make tire/wheel changes easier (no more holding the wheel on those 3 small hub tabs while you try to line up the lug holes). For the brake fluid, I use the Motive power bleeder and it works great.

Here is a pic of the old fluid (left) and the new fluid (right)! Wow, what a difference. I use ATE Type 200 Gold. It works great and is reasonably priced.
\

I think that I'll change the oil this weekend and then I'll be ready to race in two weeks!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-22-2014 at 07:50 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote