View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
steved0x

Me and my son went, we had a great time. There was a threat of rain, but except for a short downpour during another group's session, we were high and dry

Highlights - there were several boxsters there. I finally got to ride with an instructor in a boxster, and it was awesome. I also rode with an instructor in a C4S and that thing was crazy. One of the main things I felt was how smooth and tight they both felt. I know it is due to technique, but their suspensions just felt "tighter" as well. Both of these cars were not prepared and were on regular Max Performance summer tires.

Lowlights - my instructor was a no show, and so I had 3 different instructors over the course of the weekend, each with a slightly different line, braking, etc... and my first instructor had his hand on the wheel almost the whole first sessiontaking me through every corner, I literally (figuratively) could have taken my hands off the wheel and probably been allright. It was terrible. After the session I said no more touching the wheel unless it was an emergency and all was good

I had the same instructor the whole second day and made a lot of progress that day (ok back to highlights). Last time I was at RRR I was running laps in the 1:40.5 range with one lap in the 1:39.9 range, this time I was running consistently at 1:36.9 with one hot lap of 1:34.8. Those 3 or so seconds of lap time sure had me running up against a lot of traffic, which was fun sometimes when I could get a clean pass, but when 6 or 7 of us backed up behind a single car it wasn't so fun. I ducked into the pits several times to clear traffic which worked pretty well.

The real highlight (in my opinion) was my son, who was there for his first time, in his 1999 Miata. He got paired with a really great instructor JC who spent tons of time with him before and after each session. He did way better than I did my first time, and he is driving on Falken Ziex 912 all season tires. You can hear them sing especially around turn 4. He did have one spin at turn 4 earlier in the day when he forgot to brake but the instructor said he went right to both feet in and it was all good.

Here is his best lap, and it also includes links to his other laps that session.

Track Attack

In that session he had 3 laps in the 1:40's and I think he would have had more if not for traffic. On day 1 his hot lap was 1:44 one session and 1:46.9 another session so he made a lot of progress while he was there.

I can't get my session to upload but when I do I'll post a link here along with some pictures.

If you're thinking about going to a PCA DE, just do it! Even if you are not a member and not driving a Porsche. This time there were lots of mustangs, BMW, a handful of Corvettes, Scion FR-S, lots of Miatas. And of course lots of Porsches

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote