Thread: GT3 seats...
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

As with most things in life, performance seating is a often an exercise in tradeoff's and finding what you can live with and what you can't. Each driver and person is somewhat unique in this way and no size fits all.

Racing seats can be installed and adjusted to get the perfect fit but they can also be a PITA for everyday driving (pulling your hind end up and over the edge of the seat can get old along with fiddling with the three point belt buckle next to the tall side of a racing seat).

But on the good side, they look great and work great.

Here is my old BSX with Sparco Pro2000 Plus seats (the "Plus" seat fits us "wider" folks better!) along with 6-pt Schroth harnesses. The stock seat belts and receptacles were retained so I didn't have to use the 6-pt harness on the street.

Ingress/egress is a bit more difficult in a seat like this (note where the black fabric is worn off of the drivers left side bolster from rubbing each time I get in/out) but this setup is PERFECT for track days.

I also found the race seats to be the most comfortable seat ever. I like them 10x more than the stock Porsche seats. I can drive for 4-5 hours on the freeway without complaint.

The lower pic shows the mounting system: Racing seat to Brey-Krause side mounts which attach to the stock slider which attaches to a custom floor mount.

At that time I was adjusting my head height via stacks of towels under my bum - more towels (taller) for street driving with no helmet and better visibility and no towels (lower) for track days with the helmet. A more sophisticated approach would be to have an upholstery shop make a removable pad that could be swapped in/out and look nicer than a stack of towels (will anyone be mad if I say that the towel setup looks a bit ghetto? I hope not. )

I happily lived with this setup for more than two years which included driving it every day to work and taking clients and co-workers out in the car. The tradeoff was acceptable to me but my wife would have never found this acceptable in a daily driver.

Your mileage may vary.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-31-2014 at 10:49 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote