View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
steved0x

I replaced my fuel filter over last Christmas with a Mann and it was around $32 I think. I just checked on Amazon and it looks like the price is down to around $26.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CB6DDK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I priced out fuel pumps earlier this year when my car broke down, but it turned out to be the crank position sensor. I had a similar experience as you, the shop charged me twice the price for the sensor as I could have gotten it myself. They say it is because there is a parts and labor warranty on the part. Looking at my notes the price for a Porsche fuel pump (mine was a 2000, unsure if the 2001 is different) was $511.44 for the Porsche pump, a continental VDO pump was $311.86 and Pelican Parts had them for $277.50. Prices may have changed since then.

I ended up not doing the fuel pump since it was the sensor, (so I don't have a guess on labor, but 1-2 hrs sounds reasonable) but when I did the fuel filter it took about an hour, and the car was already jacked up because I was doing some other work, so I didn't count that time. So 3 hrs total sounds reasonable, ~$300 for labor sounds about right.

The parts sound a little high, but if it is Porsche branded parts then it sounds about right.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote