View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacow2001 View Post
1. If I'm buying the car from an independent used car dealer, should I ask for 5k off the price if they cannot provide proof that they have the IMS and RMS addressed, and a recent clutch change? And then take the car to a reliable shop and have all of those done at the same time before I even drive the car? Yeah, I guess I'm a little paranoid about it, lol.
With 60K-80K miles, you should be able to wait and do the IMS bearing upgrade when the clutch needs replacement. Same for the RMS.

As for asking about $5K off the price - everything is negotiable - if you can get that deal, take it. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker because the car is presumably still running fine with the original IMSB.

Quote:
2. I'm not a great car/DIY kind of guy. I was wondering the realistic yearly cost of maintenance for the 986 Boxster. I have been looking and everyone have said that "Oh, it's really expensive" but really no price point given. "Real expensive" to one person might not be to another person, so if you guys can fill in the price gap I would really appreciate it.
General rule of thumb is to budget $2,000 per year for repairs and maintenance. If you're taking the car to a shop for all of this work, plan on $3K/yr.

This is a general rule of thumb - you could spend a lot more or a lot less depending on the car you purchase, how you treat it, and how meticulous you are about its condition.

In general, realize that in 3-5 years you will likely spend the equivalent value of purchasing the car on repairs and maintenance. This is why people say that they are "expensive" to operate. As you stated, "expensive" is a relative term and for many 986 owners, it is money well spent to drive such a fine sports car!

Quote:
3. Do they still make parts for the 986? Do indy shop still service these cars? I would hate to buy a 10-12 year old car and then realized that no shops including dealership will service these cars or have parts for them.
Parts are readily available, though some can be expensive. Indy shops and dealers everywhere can service the 986. You won't find any problem in this regard.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-27-2014 at 09:40 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote