View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
tiggerkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The flicker when going over bumps leads me to believe that there is a bad connection at the connector. Are 100% sure that the headlight is fully seated and locked?

If the continuity is good through the headlight and good power on the car side, my first line of attack would be the connection.
I would replace the connector on the car side and check the pins on the headlight, but that would be a lot of work if you are not experienced at soldering since the new connector would need to be spliced in after the old is cut out.
The female sockets on the car side connector can get sprung enough that the connection is lost, but would still be readable with a multi-meter probe.
You can probably get a used connector from member itsnotanova on the classified forum. I've bought some from him before.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

You might try the ignition switch before going that route since you already ordered one, but since it's only one headlight, I really doubt that it's the problem.
I've tried jiggling the headlights for movement but they seemed to be seated properly. I'll remove them both and reinsert them again just to be sure. While testing the turn signals I've noticed that with the left headlight not in place the right turn signal would not light up (and the back would blink fast just like the left issue I'm having) which was interesting. UPDATE: The right headlight was not seated properly. Fixed that and took it for a run over some bumpy road and the flickering lights issue is now fixed at least.

Is this the connector you're referring to?
02 Porsche 911 Boxster 986 Front Small Wiring Harness Wire Loom 10 955 | eBay
it looks to be a plug and play sort of deal doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneal000 View Post
I don't want to point out the obvious at this point, but did you check the blinker fluid level?
Yea, that's step 1. The bulb is so full it looks empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
We had the same problem a few months back. Porsche sells the socket as part of the whole headlight assembly for $1,200.00 dollars. Particlewave solved the problem
By sending me a link to a seller on eBay. The eBay seller is integra90006hid
Socket is described as
1156 socket harness plug connectors per wired sockets 7506
The store is still selling the sockets for $ 6.85 plus shipping.
With a little help from my independent mechanic's grind stone.
He had to file off one of the tabs on the socket 2 mins time
It saved me $1,190.00 dollars. They even offer extra fast shipping.
I had mine the next day installed that afternoon. My mechanic
Did not charge me as he said it would take longer for him to write
Up the bill than it did for him to install the socket.

Good luck,

Jinx
I've checked that out by swapping the sockets from left and right headlight housings to see if that was the issue but the right blinker works with either socket no problem. I've been making 3 rights instead of a left whenever I can and driving in high traffic area is just a pain. Can't wait to resolve this. Thanks everyone

UPDATE:FIXED! Inspected left and right side wiring harness and noticed the left harness had some play in it. Removed the yellow clip and pushed the blue harness forward a little more and then locked it in place. Plugged everything back in and now all is well.

Last edited by tiggerkick; 07-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.
tiggerkick is offline   Reply With Quote