View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #15
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboxster View Post
i reiterate my prior statement;

The pressure reading on the gauges is a function of temperature of the refrigerant and nothing else.

This is a basic behavior of pure component (R134a) 2 phase system vapor/liquid equilbria governed by the physical properties of the refrigerant

The concept is the same as a propane tank used on a gas grill, pressure guages are not fitted to determine the amount of propane since the pressure is constant until all the liquid is gone, for this reason the weight of the tank is used to determine the amount of propane remaining.

I only made these comments in an effort to enhance the understanding of the system by the other readers on the forum.
If you want to enhance understanding you need to go review the AC cycle pressure enthalpy chart and get back to the forum to enlighten them. You might compare and contrast that to the working cycle of a propane tank which doesn't have one. I do agree with you on one point, and that is temperature and pressure are correlated with saturated vapor, but there is much more to the story than that.

I also agree that if the system has been open then air entered the system, along with water in the form of humidity. The drier is now saturated and there will be free water in the system which will turn to ice and stop the system from working. That takes a few drops. You need to replace the drier and the PAG oil lost in the drier and condenser, pull a vacuum on the system, let it sit so the PAG and non metallics off gas, do it again several times until no more off gassing is noted, then refill with 30 ounces BY WEIGHT, or 850 grams of R134a.