Thread: throttle blip
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #20
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Come to LA and I'll spend a day instructing you at no cost so you can heel and toe like a pro!
My problem with heel/toe is this. My brain will not let me lift my left foot off the clutch while my right foot is on the brake.

My heel toe is coming along, but it looks like this:

Clutch in and then brake.
Even though I want to brake hard, I brake more softly than if I didn't have a downshift, because I think my subconscious wants more time.
Move the gear lever.
Blip the throttle, which also usually causes a slight lift on the brake.
Back on the brake as the revs drop.
Then release the brake and get back on the gas as I release the clutch.

Every once in awhile it works out. I am pretty good about not getting a lurch at the end, but I have usually slowed down way more than I want and there is an odd double pulse of brakes most times.

I rode with an instructor in a prepped 996 at Road Atlanta, and to me it looked like he was doing this:

Brake hard.
Then clutch in, blip and move gear lever, clutch out.
Then finish braking, back on gas and go.

I have tried that (not at the track but once I was back home), and found that my left foot simply would not lift off the floor until my right foot was off the brake.

I think I need to sit in the driveway and practice that a few hundred times. But first I need to make sure that I have found the right combo to practice so I don't ingrain any more bad techniques.

So I wish I was closer to LA... but FL to LA is a long way
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote