View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
jb92563

When the AOS goes there will be so much suction at idle it will be hard to remove the oil cap. A little to moderate suction is normal and the idle should get higher when you remove the cap.

A high or irregular idle with the oil cap closed can also indicate a blown AOS.

Its common that racers on the bigger tracks force oil in to places that results in a puff of smoke after a day of racing, and I suppose it could happen with autocross as well.

Losing your AOS will be very obvious as your idle will be a mess and you will leave clouds of smoke so thick you will white out your neighborhood.

You will also notice high oil consumption. I lost a quart in one day my AOS died. On startup I had a puff of smoke and 10 minutes of driving later I had rough idle and then the final massive spectacular smoke bomb effect. I was freaked out and then laughing hilariously at the ridiculousness of the whole scene.
Oncoming drivers looked horrified and I was hoping no one would call a fire truck and douse my car with high pressure water.

Use the dipstick to check oil as the electronic indication is only reliable under some circumstances. (Cold engine left sitting for an hour on level ground)

Continue to drive it and monitor the oil level for a few days.
I think you'll be all right if the smoke puffs go away after a few drives.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-15-2014 at 06:07 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote