Thread: ruf
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
ok, looking to take the temperature of the people here.

ruf does cars two ways; the original way where they buy a chassis direct from Porsche, modify it, and give it a new vin number.

then there's how they did the boxsters (3400S and 3600S) - parts packages (3.4 or 3.6 L 911 engine, front bumper, wheels, etc.; as selected by owner) that could be installed on any new or used boxster, often at a certified ruf installer.

so, if I take a boxster, source a bunch of genuine ruf parts (i.e., not knock-offs) and a 911 engine and build my version of a ruf 3400S or 3600S in my garage, can I call it a ruf? can I put a ruf badge on the hood? is it poseur, even if the end result is the same as paying a ruf guy to do the same work with the same parts?
No. I've owned a Ruf car, and can assure you that Alois Ruf would not take kindly to that legally, and the car would not come up as a true Rug car in a background check if you went to sell it on. It would be a Porsche with some Ruf components added, but not a Ruf car.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-08-2014 at 08:38 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote