View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
steved0x

Bumping this old thread because this same thing happened to me last weekend at Road Atlanta. 2nd day of a two day track weekend, on session 2 of 6, the brake wear warning comes on as I am coming into the hard braking into turn 10a at the end of the back straight. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but once I got through 10a/10b and headed up the hill I was able to take a closer look and read the light. I knew that I had tons of pad left all the away around, but went ahead into the pits to do a quick check of all of the outer pads. All was good so I finished my session ( basically about 1 or 2 essentially cooldown laps as we were at the end) and then I went into the paddock, ate lunch, and then took all 4 wheels off to verify. All was good, tons of pad left all the way around (not even close the hole where the sensors go). The sensors all looked good from the top (I figured I must have melted one or more of the fronts) and I was running out of time so I decided to just leave them in and ignore the light, and then remove them all when I got home. Buttoned everything back up, and then later in the day the light just magically turned itself off. I guess it must have melted in such a way to break the electrical connection, and then re-melted and closed the connection once again? Odd.

I'll update once I get in there, I figure I will find a blobbed up sensor just like in this thread...

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Anyone ever melt their brake sensors?

I spent last Sunday at the track, hot day (92F) on a course with lots of heavy braking. During the mid-afternoon session, my brake wear dash light came on. I pulled off the course and went to the paddock and did a quick check and everything looked ok - more than enough pad left, so I finished out the day with the dash light on and brakes working great.

This week I pulled the wheels and found that 3 of the 4 brake wear sensors had melted. 2 of the 4 sensors had pulled out of the pad (I assume after melting and losing the shape that keeps them "snapped" in) and were ground up by the rotor (which is why the brake wear dash light came on).

Replaced all four sensors and the brake wear dash light is off and all seems well.

1999 Boxster 2.5L, EBC RedStuff pads, Cquence cross drilled rotors.

As you can see here, the pads aren't worn down to the sensor holes - lots of pad left.

Here you can see the brake sensor end melted.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote