View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
It always makes me wonder why they officially call it a 'Base'. Sorta like calling it 'Entry Level' or 'Bottom' or something. Maybe it was just lost in translation... But a good lesson in Marketing 101: Think thru your name.

I'm so glad I don't hang around with my buds and have to tell them I drive a Base...
Porsche are indeed the masters of getting people to adopt their marketing speak.

The best example is the Cayman. While the Carrera Cabriolet and the hard top Carrera are both still marketed as Carreras, Porsche decided to market the Boxster coupe (aka Cayman) as a different car and everyone went along with it without blinking an eye. When the car was laucned they marketed the Boxster coupe as a "stepping stone" car to upsell the Carrera. The irony is that on handling it's the reverse pecking order.

But I agree it should not be referred to as a base Boxster. It is the Boxster. Ditto for the Carrera.
Both of these are examples of Porsche trying to get the buyer to second guess his decision and reach deeper into the pocket. It would have been better to simply sell the Boxster with all of the S model options and offer the higher powered model with a unique badge like BMW do with the M badge.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-10-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote