View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Around $400 worth of parts if you shop wisely. That leaves $900 in labor. You can do it yourself if you are handy in a day. $900 is pretty good pay or savings for a days work where I come from. Kind of depends on whether you have more time or money. And bear in mind you don"t have to do it all at once.
Agreed, I have done all of that on my car with the exception of AT flush and coolant flush (I did do a transaxle oil change though, and the AT car needs that oil changed as well) but I understand it is a lot tougher to get to in an AT car. And I have flushed coolant on a Tacoma and a Miata.

You could take that $900 and buy:
3 ton low profile jack from Harbor freight for $75
2 pairs of 3 ton jack stands for $50
15 quart oil pan $15. Any auto parts store will have a big drum you can pour the old oil in for recycling.
Motive European Black Label Bleeder $70
If you are missing specific tools like an 11mm metric wrench for brake bleeding
Spark plug socket $15 GearWrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket - Socket Set With Spark Plug Socket - Amazon.com
Airlift for coolant flushing $120 Amazon.com: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit: Automotive
HF Compressor for airlift tool: $125-$150
101 Projects book: $25
Bentley manual $75

I am probably missing a few things but you could get set up pretty well for that $900 and do most of that yourself. The AT fluid exchange would be the only one I would be leery about but only because I have never done that. There are guides in both the 101 Projects book and the Bentley.

And you can certainly space it all out over time. Unless there is a critical issue (and most of your list seems non critical, just do the oil change first if it is due. Do the air filters and learn how to get into the engine compartment. If it is past due then do the spark plugs, and if you have any seepage, do the tubes and O-rings while you are in there. Etc. It can be fun

But if you want to have a shop do all of that work $900 seems fair to me as well. That is a decent amount of labor to do all that stuff.

Good luck!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote