View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
dja1980

Metal Debris in Oil... Now What?

Well, I just pulled my Boxster out of winter storage and completed my annual oil change, and I noticed metal debris in the bottom of my drain pan. I recently read an article Pelican Parts sent out regarding the IMS Bearing, so this is the first time I made it a point to really look for debris.

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06)

So, what’s the next step? Needless to say, this news took the wind out of my sails for what was turning out to be a nice afternoon. My car is a 2002 Boxster S with roughly 68,000. With 2 new babies, the car hasn’t gotten driven recently like it used to. Over the last 2 years, I’ve probably only put 2-3K miles on it. I’ll have to check my records when I get home tonight.

I did a little searching here this morning and found this thread regarding options, but it looks like the information is about a year old with some new information ready to roll out at the time.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46431-ims-fix-options-too-many-choices.html

Can I drive the car, or is it too risky at this point? If I need to get immediate work done, can anyone recommend someone in the Chicagoland area, or do I need to go long distance to get this repaired correctly. For obvious reasons, I’d like to avoid the dealership.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide… Dave

dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote