View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
jb92563

I took a preliminary look and ordered a new OEM AOS from Pelican.

Pelican says you can remove the line to the intake and block the ports for an emergency limp home if necessary.

I found I had lost 2.5 quarts of oil in the process and was on the bottom digital indication, but no oil light yet. Makes me wonder when would the oil light come on?

I hooked up the Durametric and noted all the codes indicating misfire on nearly all cylinders and Oxygen sensor faults.

I would think the spark plugs may also look pretty sooty but I will see once the new AOS is in and the remainder of the oil is burned out of the intake whether I need new plugs.

Hopefully the catalytic converter and Oxygen sensors survived.

There was no oil leakage anywhere except some misting on the bumper around the exhaust.

I stuck my finger in the intake tube from the AOS and it was very oily so definitely too much oil coming out from the AOS in to the intake.

The car has 72K miles and no record of the AOS being replaced before so it lasted a good long time I suppose.

I usually say that every failure is an opportunity for an upgrade but I don't see that opportunity here.

Perhaps if I take the old unit apart and discover a mode of failure, maybe there is a way to prevent, modify or at least get a warning of impending failure.

Since the car will be down for the week waiting on parts I should probably complete my headlight projector/dragon eyes project
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote