View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
steved0x

Ecsta XS, RS3, Direza ZII, RE-11A, and... Federal 595RS???

I was fiddling around today and saw these:595 RS-R RACING - OnlineTires.com

Treadwear of 140, around $400 a set for 17"s. Has anyone ever used these? I am a firm believe in TANSTAAFL, and I figure you get what you pay for, but I wonder if something this cheap would even give a good level of extreme summer performance for even a single track weekend?

Ok enough fun

Realistically:

I am doing 2 track days at Road Atlanta with MVP Track time at the end of June and I think I am going to get a set of either the Kumho Ecsta XS (low $600's from tire rack) or the RE-11A (high 600's from tire rack). I like these over the Hankook RS3 or Direzza because these two are directional while the Ecsta XS and RE-11A are asymmetric and can be rotated side to side. (And while I probably will never rotate them I had it in my mind if I ever did a track day at somewhere like Daytona where they say the right rear wheel takes the most wear I could rotate halfway through the weekend and maybe make it wear more evenly across the set)

I for some reason thought the RE-11A would be way more expensive than the Kumho. Maybe they are on sale, or maybe I missed out on some special pricing for the Kumho? Are the RE-11A worth $46 more? The g-force rival is right at that same price point too so I guess it warrants some consideration.

Why can't one of these go on major sale and make this easy for me... If they are all about the same I would probably go with the Kumho. If one of the others is better than I probably would spend the extra $50 or so and get a set of those...

I guess my main criteria at this stage is which one is likely to give me the longest life? I am still at the beginning phase and so that is probably the best criteria for me at this time.

Steve

PS this sure seems similar to my earlier tire thread...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote