View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I really do not understand why people persist in trying to drain the master reservoir before doing a pressure bleed and flush. The Motive system pushes out all the old fluid in the system ahead of the fresh fluid, that is one of several distinct advantages of using the pressure bleeding procedure.
The last time I did this on my FJ cruiser, I didn't have the syringe and so I didn't pull the old fluid out before attaching the Motive bleeder. I used super blue, and as it went into the full master cylinder it seemed to go right to the bottom and I was getting blue out of the caliper bleed screws almost immediately while the master cylinder was still 75% or more full with the old amber fluid. It seemed like it took forever for the master cylinder to get full of the blue. It was kind of weird. Since then I have suctioned out the fluid first, just make it a little easier and less time under the car. (With the Toyotas you don't have to jack them up or even take the wheel off, you can just slide under and access the bleed screw from the back of the wheel.)

Edit: I am now remembering I couldn't get the stupid universal Toyota motive adapter to hold pressure (you use chains and screws to tighten it down and I could never get a seal that would hold over 5-10 lb) so I had to use the old pedal method, and just poured the new fluid in to the master cylinder. So maybe pouring it in made it swirl around to the bottom.

Last edited by steved0x; 04-11-2014 at 03:16 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote