View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
jb92563

Stated looking for a second car and wanted something cool & sporty but not spend too much.

I saw the Fiero & 986 based Carrera GT kits and thought they were right up my alley.
I used the kit resource links to find a 986 Roller and when I saw they were only 4k I got to thinking that a used 986 might be in my ball park. They certainly were which surprised me, I thought they would be totally out of reach.

At that Point I dropped the kit idea and started shopping for 986's and doing research at this forum.

Drove a base 99 from a dealer and it blew me away. Looked over about 5 of them and sat in a 996 and eventually decided on a private sale from Autotrader
because the guy had good records, the car was well maintained, no leaks whatsoever of any kind. My PPI and review of maintenance records plus a 15 minute test drive took 2.5 hours.

I took the 986 buyer checklist and did my own PPI. The only thing I missed with the DIY PPI was that the busted mirror visor hinges and Windshield washer tank leaked profusely when I filled it up as the wiper squirter was not working.

Again searching this forum revealed a common issue that the wiper fluid hose can become disconnected from the tank at the pickup hence the loss of all the wiper fluid.

I simply reattached the tube to the nipple and added a zip tie to keep it secure and there have not been a single issue in 2 years and 17k miles.

The forum has been a fantastic resource and has saved me $$$ so I support the sponsors of this forum by giving them my business when ever possible and contributing back so others can benefit from the knowledge, mistakes and successes.

Ray
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote