View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
jb92563

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I was recently looking into a magnetic drain plug, but decided against it. The reason being I read a significant amount about how some people are weary that the magnet attracts metal (assuming there is any) and the particles build up into a mound, and then break off all at once, causing a large number of particles to enter the engine all at once, instead of individually.

Do you guys think there is any truth to that though? I think that would only apply to the drain plug, but I am curious what people think. Any recommendations on better oil filters, than OEM, to trap more particles? Thanks!
Since you would remove the metal debris from the magnet at every oil change there should not be any accumulation large enough to significantly "mound" up to the point where the magnet cannot hold it.

However, the filter would be next in the oil circuit and capture the metal in case what you say is possible.

If you did ever have a mound of metal accumulate between oil changes then its likely your engine would already be in very bad shape and immediate tear down and overhaul would likely be required to avoid a catastrophic failure.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-10-2014 at 06:16 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote