View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
jb92563

DIY Magnetic Oil Filtering

The whole issue of having ferrous damaging materials circulating through the oil to all the tight clearance parts in our expensive engines is alarming.

Taking action to reduce this and extend the life of the engine is inexpensive and easy for the DIYer.

Another thread brought the issue of "MagFilters" to light and after a few minutes of research an easy DIY will soon be at hand.

Here is how a FilterMag works: Its simply a set of magnets externally attached to the oil filter. The magnetic field extends to the interior of the oil filter and captures ferrous material as it flows through the filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCimcP-i7bY&feature=player_detailpage

How It Works | FilterMag

Lincoln Navigator with 1500 miles!

88 Jeep CJ5 after 45minutes with Magnets on filter

I would have ordered one from the above site but I don't think they have our filter shape/size plus I was not sure if they used the Hi Temp magnets.

I ordered 14 hi temp magnets that I will attach to the outside of my stock filter. K&J Magnetics - Products $46 Shipped

I think my magnets are also stronger than the commercial product, due to the increased thickness, so that larger particles will be
held secure against the flow stream of the oil.

I went with 14 magnets because I think I recall there are 14 flute surfaces on the plastic filter.

Hi Temp is necessary because many common Magnets loose there Magnetic properties at relatively low temperatures ~175F so I needed the Hi Temp variety that could withstand the Hot Oil temperatures that may exist on the surface of the Oil filter.

Every oil change I can wipe away the accumulated materials so this device should function for the life of this car and more.

Every particle of ferrous material removed from the engine will contribute to the extended life of the engine by reducing the wear rate, so is well worth the minimal cost <$50.

Granted the non ferrous metal, like aluminum, will not be captured but aluminum is not as hard and abrasive as iron and steel particles so at least the most damaging metals will be removed from the engine.

I'll add pictures once I have completed the filter and document the results of filtering over time so we have a reference to compare with.

I already have an oil drain magnet as well and now understand why the price is $25, because the Hi Temp magnets are a Samarium-Cobalt alloy and is simply an expensive material that is also inherently corrosion resistant.

Pics Coming Soon...
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-04-2014 at 07:51 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote