View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Perfectlap

Easy. You need to:

1. Clay bar the $hit out of the paint first. Pardon my French.
use a dishwashing detergent to get the surface full of suds, it will strip the paint free of any waxes or other crap.
If you live near an Advanced Auto they sell Griot's Garage clay bar over the counter.
That's the best deal for clay bar going.
2. Wash the car again to move lift away any remnants that may have broken loose during the claying.
3. Get some halogen lamps from Sears. I actually have an LED light that mounts to my bike helmet. You need to be able to see those swirls as you're using the orbital. I would do the orbital first before going with the rotary.
4. You need an aggressive polish with swirl removing properties like Menzerna IP. Then follow up with the finishing polish to smooth out the minor swirls caused by getting out the big swirls.

Check YouTube on the Menzerna IP (note the overlapping method). I've seen some miraculous restorations. There was one of a black 993 in Spain that was amazing. Not one swirl remained, it looked like it just rolled out of the factory.

Being that it's a black car, and you want to keep those aggresive polishing sessions down to a minimum, you need a hard sealant. This one by Ammo looks interesting and Larry Kossilla is definitely an expert.

As for a final topper I would recommend an anti-static polymer spray like Finish Kare 425 which will make the surface slippery for quick detailing. The easier stuff rolls off the less swirling. And definitely throw away the autostore microfiber towels. I only use the Griot's Garage blue and green long nap towels. Prickly hooks like in standard microfiber towels is overkill for a well maintained surface. And those if those towels are 101% clean they'll scratch the paint with debris that the hooks are stubborn at letting go. I only use those for cleaning leather and carpets.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-28-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote